ON THE MAP
Click a location below to automatically scroll and read about its history.
11. Lubbe House
16. Collins Family
21. Ace-Tex Vinyls
24. Joan L. Volpe
27. Schuylkill Canal
Eighth Avenue & Fayette Street
The Victorian house built in 1895 by J. Elwood Lee, manufacturer of surgical supplies and founder of the Lee Tire and Rubber Company. The Lee home has many fireplaces in its twenty-three rooms. After the last Lee family member living in this mansion passed away in the early part of the 20th century this building was sold to the Manufacturers Club of Conshohocken and used as a conference center. Conshohocken Borough bough this building in 1964 and used it as the Borough Hall until 2008. The carriage house which was built in the back of the property was used as a police station until 2016. The entire property was sold in 2017 to the HOW group which now rents the mansion for private parties and events.
Leeland home from an old postcard.
Current view of the Leeland home.
2. Wm. HALLOWELL
Seventh Avenue & Forrest Street
Constructed in 1859, by builder Hallowell who served on the borough’s first council in 1850. He was also the Burgess of Conshohocken for 8 years. This building is currently being used as an apartment building.
View of the Wm. Hallowell home.
The current building has not changed in appearance.
3. PAUL MIRAGLIA, M.D.
Sixth Avenue & Fayette Street
The Joseph P. Whitton House was built in 1865 in the Georgian Revival Style. Mr. Whitton was the owner of a large woolen mill on Washington Street in Conshohocken. In 1938, the house was purchased by Paul R. Miraglia M.D. who was one of the founders of the Conshohocken Visiting Nurse Association and the Fellowship House. Alterations and additions were made in subsequent years for Dr. Miraglia's offices and growing family. The house was restored to its original period look in 1990, and shortly thereafter it was converted into offices. In 2011, the site was redeveloped for the construction of a branch office of Continental Bank. The ownership of the property remains in the Miraglia family.
4. MARY H. WOOD PARK HOUSE
East Fifth Avenue & Harry Street
In 1918, Mary Wood bequeathed the property to the borough to be used as a park or playground for the recreation and enjoyment of the residents. The property has been the hub of civic and cultural activity since the Conshohocken Community Center was formed in 1925. Built it 1860, it was once visited by Vice President of the United States, Hannibal Hamilton, in 1861. Abraham Lincoln was as president at that time.
5. MARY WOOD PARK, CARETAKER'S HOUSE
Fifth Avenue & Harry Street
This small stone house was constructed in 1861 by William Teel.
6. MRS. HENRY COLLINS
303 East Tenth Avenue
Built in 1900, this was the childhood home of Lt. Commander H. Donald Collins, U.S.N. retired. Commander Collins piloted the first blimp to the North Pole in 1956.
Older photo of the Collins home.
Updated view of the Collins home.
7. GLENN & DOROTHY HATFIELD
123 East Fifth Avenue
Built in 1850, this was the home of Charles Heber Clark (1841-1915). At the beginning of the 20th century, Clark was an editor for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin. He was also a well-known author who wrote under the name of Max Adeler. Of the many books written by him, The Quakeress (1905) depicted life in a community called Connock. Connock is believed to be an area of Conshohocken. Charles Heber Clark was also a benefactor to J. Ellwood Lee, loaning him the necessary funds to start his
surgical supply company.
Older photo of the Hatfield home.
Updated view of the Hatfield home.
8. WILLIAM POTTS JONES
225 East Fifth Avenue
Built in 1888 by William Potts Jones, father of Mrs. Christian. Features original furniture built by Mrs. Jones.
24. JOAN L. VOLPE
This property was the site of the first school rooms at the first firehouse in Conshohocken. At one time, the house was known as Stemple Hall, where town meetings were held.
25. ST. MARY'S CHURCH RECTORY
Elm & Oak Streets
Built in 1837 by James Wood, ironmaster and founder of Conshohocken. Home of John Wood, first Burgess of Conshohocken (1850). It is now the rectory of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church. The inside of the Wood home has retained most of its originality.
26. THE SHEPPARD HOUSE
Elm Street & Colwell Lane
This house, built in 1784 as a residence, is the oldest house in use in Conshohocken. Marty Sheppard married David Lukens in 1817.
27. SCHUYLKILL CANAL
Near Plymouth Dam on the Schuykill River
The stone walls of this 1820 canal are all that remain today.
28. RALPH S. PHILOMENO
499 West Sixth Avenue
Retaining much of its original design, this 1850 house continues much of its charm.
29. WASHINGTON HOSE & STEAM FIRE ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 1 OF CONSHOHOCKEN
15 West Hector Street - Original Building
A two-bay structure built in 1878 and used since, this building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in December of 1975. It was the first firehouse on the Register.
30. CONSHOHOCKEN BOROUGH HALL
Hector & Forrest Streets
Built in 1872 for the borough hall and lockup. Discontinued in move to present municipal building in 1964.
Current view of home of Ralph S. Philomeno
23. CONSHOHOCKEN RAILROAD STATION
Washington & Fayette Streets
When rail service was started in 1835, the station was part of the Ford Hotel. The building was renovated to house the station only. Fire damage to the top story of the building was never repaired.
22. WOOD INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS CO.
Built in 1867 by John Wood, Jr., son of the first Burgess of Conshohocken (1850). John Wood Jr. built steam boilers and later household range boilers.
21. ACE-TEX VINYLS, INC.
Elm & Harry Streets
Constructed for use as an iron foundry by William Bate in 1868. Upon his death in 1904, Mr. Bate was the oldest boiler maker in the United States.
20. ST. MATTHEW'S SCHOOL
East Hector Street
Site of St. Mathew’s oldest Catholic Parochial High School in Pennsylvania. Built in 1870 – discontinued in 1970. It now houses a Criminal Research Company. It was supplanted by Archbishop Kennedy High School.
19. Wm. MORRISON HOUSE
115 Harry Street
This residence was constructed in 1873 and has been occupied by the same family since its origin.
Current view of 201 Harry Street
Dr. Leary's office directional sign next to mailboxes for apartments
18. JOSEPH F. LEARY, DDS
201 Harry Street
Erected in 1873 by James Henry, scion of early settlers in the area. Starting in the 1950's this building was used as an office and family home by Dr. Joseph Leary a dentist for about 50 years. After Dr. Leary retired, the building was converted to apartments. However the office directional sign for Dr. Leary's office is still attached to the front of the building as can be seen in the second picture below.
Old photo of the P.O.S. of A. Building.
Current view of the P.O.S. of A. Building.
17. PATRIOTIC ORDER OF SONS OF AMERICA BUILDING
Second Avenue & Fayette Street
Built in 1891 this building, with its Victorian architecture, is truly a Conshohocken landmark and when erected was one of Montgomery County’s finest buildings. As one of Conshohocken’s numerous civic organizations the Washington Camp No. 121 of the Patriotic Order Sons of America was chartered in 1870. This building, which served as the group’s headquarters, was built on land originally purchased from the estate of David Harry. This building has served many businesses over the years including for a time the U.S. post office.
Old photo of the Collins Family home.
Updated view of the Collins Family home.
16. COLLINS FAMILY
200 Forrest Street
Built in 1857 featuring Italian architecture with 12 ft. ceilings, heavy woodwork and red pine random-width floors. Since 1890, the residents have been the family of Francis and Elizabeth Golden Collins. Update Feb. 2022 - the home is still occupied by descendants of the Collins family.
Third Avenue & Forrest Street
Generally known as the Grand Army Hall, this 1895 structure has had significant alterations. Built by W.C.T.U. (Woman’s Christian Temperance Union).
Updated view of Conshohocken Free Library.
14. CONSHOHOCKEN FREE LIBRARY
301 Fayette Street
One of the original ironmasters of Conshohocken, Lewis Lukens, lived in this home built circa 1857. It was donated in 1909 to the borough and is used as the public library. Remodeling of the interior resulted in loss of its original appearance.
Updated view of the Calvary Episcopal Church Building
13. CALVARY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
325 Fayette Street
Calvary Episcopal of Conshohocken was founded in 1857. Church at 325 Fayette Street was built in 1888 and features fine Tiffany-stained glass windows. Later renovated by artist Paula Belano. Building was purchased by Christ the King Presbyterian Church in 2013.
Updated view of the home of Mrs. Thomas L. Christian
12. MRS. THOMAS L. CHRISTIAN
410 Spring Mill Avenue
Beautiful Colonial home constructed circa 1850 by Evan D. Jones, Burgess of Conshohocken in 1866.
Old photo of the Lubbe house.
Updated view of the Lubbe home.
Remnants of a carriage stepping stone in front of the Lubbe house.
11. LUBBE HOUSE
422 Spring Mill Avenue
Built in 1850 by Francis Lubbe, a Prussian cavalryman born in Westphalia, Germany. He served on the Borough Council in 1864-67-68 and was treasurer of the Conshohocken School Board for 2 years. He was also president of the Conshohocken Light and Power Company the first electric company in Conshohocken established in 1874. His son, William Lubbe, served as the company’s general manager. His son-in-law, David Ross, served as the company’s secretary and treasurer.
The Lubbe house today (2022) has been divided into individual apartments. There are the remains of a carriage stepping out stone by the curb in front of the house. At one point the family name “Lubbe” was clearly inscribed in this red-sandstone. Today parts of a very faded “E” is the only inscription remaining. A granite hitching post, used to tie horses and carriages, is also in front of the Lubbe house.
The Conshohocken Historical Society has a map from 1871 which shows that the Lubbe house included not only the current 422 Spring Mill Avenue address but also the adjoining land on the corner of Wells Street and East Fifth Avenue. The Society also has a map from 1890 which indicates that the Lubbe family still owned the house at the current 422 Spring Mill Avenue address, but that the adjoining corner lot (with a house) at Wells Street and East Fifth Avenues was owned by Francis Lubbe’s son-in-law, David (who married Francis Lubbe’s daughter Ella Lubbe). So, it looks like between 1871 and 1890 the father-in-law, Francis sold/gave son-in-law David the Wells Street / East Fifth Avenue corner lot. The house that currently sits on this corner lot is the house that David Ross built. This house today (2022) has been divided into apartments.
Updated view of the Thomas L. Kennedy home.
10. THOMAS L. KENNEDY
517 Spring Mill Avenue
Once the home of Thomas L. Kennedy, second principal of St. Matthew’s High School, 1878, Archbishop of Salencia, 1915.
Updated view of the Henry Ferrier home.
9. HENRY FERRIER
531 Spring Mill Avenue
This frame house was constructed circa 1867 and was one of a number of workmen’s homes.
Updated view of the home of Mrs. Thomas Christian